Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Drexel Hill, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at O'Brien Heating & Air Conditioning can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give O'Brien Heating & Air Conditioning in Drexel Hill a call to begin. You can reach us at 610-257-7035 or arrange an appointment with us online.